Student Support Services
WHAT IS STUDENT SUPPORT SERVICES?
Student Support Services (SSS) is a federally funded TRiO program that allows selected educational institutions or agencies to provide fundamental support to students at the college level. Students involved in SSS will receive free on-campus services from academic advising to personal mentoring. Our goal at Student Support Services is to increase the retention and graduation rates for our OSU students.
WHAT DO THE STUDENTS DO?
Students involved with SSS will meet with their designated coordinator/advisor several times throughout the semester. Coordinators will assist students with academic coursework, financial aid, career goals, and overall, the transition to college life. Students may also take advantage of free tutoring, workshops, and opportunities to attend cultural events. To be considered for the SSS program, you must apply (see "How to apply" section).
SSS provides supplemental instruction in math, laboratory science, composition, literature, foreign language, study skills, critical thinking and computer literacy as well as:
- Academic, financial and personal counseling
- Career exploration
- Financial aid application assistance
- Access to an SSS Success Center
- Monthly workshops
- Opportunities to attend cultural events
- Monthly newsletters
- Mentoring with professors on campus
- Service learning opportunities
- Grant aid scholarships
HOW TO APPLY:
To be eligible for Student Support Services, you must be a US citizen or a permanent US resident, and meet at least one of the following requirements:
- A first-generation college student (neither of your parents has received a four-year college bachelor's degree).
- Low-income according to federal guidelines.
- Have a documented disability on file through Student Disability Services.
To apply: please complete the online application, and an SSS Staff member will contact you for an interview. If you would like assistance in completing your application, or to request a paper application, please call 405-744-5335.